It’s always hard trying to find the perfect, personalized teacher gift for your child’s teacher. We want to let them know how important they are to us and how much we appreciate them. If you’re like me, you like to make stuff, not buy it, and you want it to be useful. So, I thought about what would help out in the class after volunteering some time there and sometimes, you just need a creative outlet for some of the children when they are not listening or misbehaving (again, 😀 ) and if your children are like mine, they tune out their name when they are in their own world.
The Kindness Can just lists some ideas of what the children can do that helps them learn from the situation and also gets their little hands busy and can really help diffuse a situation and take pressure off the adults about what to say/do. The teacher can just pick a stick (or the child can) and that’s what he or she has to do…in the process, they are learning and being helpful and developing their character, not just sitting at their desk or being pulled aside and not getting to participate.
I just painted a can from those chocolate wafers you get at the store (no problem having some empty ones of those on stock around here) and some popsicle sticks that I painted. Print out a few helpful ways the children can re-focus or help someone and it’s ready!
Some ideas are:
- Help a friend clean up his/her area.
- Make a card for a friend.
- Give a sincere compliment.
- Play with someone who needs a friend.
- Write in the classroom kindness journal.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line.
- Bury treasure at the playground.
- Hold the door open for your classmates.
- Tell someone why they are special to you.
- Write a note to someone telling them what you like about them.
- Throw away someone else’s trash at lunch.
- Sharpen pencils for 2 classmates.
- Draw someone a picture.
- Read a book to a younger child or a classmate.
- Make and display a “kindness matters” sign.
- Make a bookmark for a friend or to leave in the library.
- Help your teacher with a needed task.
- Pick up trash around the classroom.
- Give a kind handshake to your classmate.
Here is a file with a printable version that you can cut and attach to cardstock, then glue onto the popsicle stick.